Pages

Monday, December 22, 2014

Moscow, goodbyes, My Time with Christ, tripanionship




On the plane to my first area to serve!






December 22, 2014

Hi everyone! 


Moscow
This was an exciting week. On Thursday we found out we were being reassigned, so after dinner we got our papers from the travel office which told us we were going to the Washington Spokane Mission. 

We all wrote down predictions for each other and it was actually crazy because one of the elders in our district had a dream that we would all get reassigned to Washington, and sure enough! And then the prediction my district made for me was that I would end up in Idaho, but I told them they were crazy. But they turned out to be right! I'm in Moscow, Idaho right now because it is part of the Spokane mission.


with our reassignments

Goodbyes
We said some quick goodbyes and then hurried home after class to pack! It was hard for all of us to get our bags to under 50 pounds, but we got there eventually. Then we left the MTC early the next morning! 

It was really sad to say goodbye to everyone. I loved loved loved the friends I made there and I'll miss them for sure. It was sweet because everyone woke up early and ran out in their blankets and pajamas to wave goodbye to us, as we rode away in our van. 

It was definitely sad being separated from my district. We've spent over 800 hours together! We really became like second family. But we already have reunions planned so I'll look forward to those :) 


My Time with Christ
The MTC is a special place and I'll look back at that time with fond memories. Most of all, I'm grateful for how much I learned there and how much my testimony grew. The MTC truly was MTime with Christ. 

Goodbye District 25-A!

Spokane Mission President
We flew to the Spokane mission and our mission president and his wife picked us up. They're awesome! Their personalities are hilarious and they have a lot to teach us. We had a short training after that and then went to the mission home for dinner and then to meet our new companions! 

Tripanionship
Because they only found out a day in advance too, transfers had already happened so I'm in what they're calling "tripanionships". It's actually fun with 3! One of my companions is from Taiwan and the other is from New Zealand. They're both wonderful! So far we're getting along well and having a lot of fun :) 

It's neat because I can practice with my companion during language study so I'm not too worried about keeping up with my Mandarin.  At the same time, it's definitely a relief being able to teach in English! It has made this transition less scary for sure. 

Members are great!
We're actually in a young family ward so everyone is around 20 or 30 years old and recently married or with a few kids so it's interesting trying to work with them to find people to teach. But they're helpful and it seems like they're totally supportive of us! 

Last night one of the couples had us over for dinner even though they're both only 19 (!!!) Funny story, actually. He joined the church less than a year ago so we have been trying to go over frequently. Because they're so young and recently married or whatever, when I walked in I saw that it was a one-dish meal. Sweet & sour pork. 

I didn't want to make them feel bad by saying I was vegetarian, so I whispered to my companions not to say anything. So I ate it! I chopped it into very small pieces and mixed it with a lot of sauce. Luckily I didn't gag! But it was so chewy. I didn't know it was always that chewy. Then on the ride home I found out that I had just eaten a pig which was really weird to think about so I ran home and brushed my teeth because I was not used to anything tasting so... animaly! But I'll call that a success! 

The members are great! It's sweet to see how even though they're busy with work and establishing their family that they make time to encourage and support us and that they're so willing to help! 

D&C 84:85
My scripture for this week is Doctrine & Covenants 84:85
Neither take ye thought beforehand what ye shall say; but treasure up in your minds continually the words of life, and it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man.
I love the promise that Heavenly Father will help us know what to say even though it can be intimidating or uncomfortable when we are put on the spot or have a flood of questions to answer. I have already felt the help from the Holy Ghost and I know I'll need it even more when I get to Taiwan and will be trying to do this all in Mandarin! 

Have a very merry Christmas! And remember what we are really celebrating :) 

Love you all!

Sister Hancock

No comments:

Post a Comment