Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Quads, progressing, Sunny, giving up tea, scriptures are like friends

*Note: Sinclaire's birthday is April 5. 

Holding the Taiwan flag
March 23, 2015

Hello!

Quads
The weather is heating up real quick! Just sitting outside is still decently comfortable, but after biking for an extended period of time it gets sweaty really quickly! By the way, our area is HUGE. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the biggest in the mission. By car, it takes 2-2.5 hours to drive across our entire area. By car! And we're on bikes. But it's nice to start like this because the rest of my areas in my mission will seem like a breeze. My quads will be able to handle anything! 
Beauty everywhere--even on a long road
Progressing
This week we found a bunch of new investigators again. We're really excited to work with them! The hard part lately has been to get people progressing. Everyone is really busy so it's hard to setup, but we met some people who seem interested :) 

Sunny
Sunny is an investigator we met through the free English class we teach every week. She's hilarious! She's probably in her 40s and she is super nice and spoils us. She loves the missionaries! 

She has been coming to English for a long time so her English is really good. Somehow a while back someone gave her a Book of Mormon and she reads every night! 

She told us that she wants to get baptized with her friend Judy. But she hasn't been taught any of the lessons and doesn't really know what baptism really means yet. So we've started teaching her and hopefully next time we meet, she'll be ready to make a baptismal goal!

Giving up tea
We have been teaching Wen Jiemei for a while now and she's pretty close to baptism also. 

Her biggest issue is the Word of Wisdom so we've been working on that with her. She can't quite seem to give up tea. She has so much faith and believes everything! But she isn't quite committed yet. 

This week we spent time contacting people on the university
campus--like old times at the University of Idaho in Moscow 
We've been calling her every day this week and last to try and follow-up and remind her but she hasn't been able to go a day yet without tea :(  But she'll get there and I know she can do it!

Scriptures are like friends
I've grown to really love the scriptures on my mission. I thought I loved them before my mission, but I love them even more now! They really are like friends in times of need. 

Because we have so much time biking, I try to make those sometimes 40 minutes to an hour productive. I've started memorizing a scripture a day and it's been great! 

I was never really good at this before and for the life of me I could not cite scripture references. 

But one of our friends in my last area in Idaho inspired me! She would memorize a scripture a day even though she wasn't super good at it either, so I thought I'd start. 

What beautiful blessings God has in store for us!
Elder Christofferson says 
"Faith comes by the witness of the Holy Spirit to our souls, Spirit to spirit, as we hear or read the word of God." 
It's so true! 

Often times I find answers to my prayers through scripture and it is a wonderful link between me and God. It makes Him seem a little less far away and answers to prayer a little less vague. 

One scripture I memorized this week is in 1 Corinthians 2:9: 
"Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." 
What beautiful blessings God has in store for us!  And how much this scripture brightens my day, when I'm able to recite it in my head over and over while biking on a long road. 

Hope everyone has a wonderful week and happy almost Easter! Yippee! 

You're in my prayers!

Love,
Sister Sinclaire Hancock

My wonderful companion








No comments:

Post a Comment