Pages

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Inviting out of love, Twister and Ping Pong, when someone's life flashes before their eyes, one week at a time


President and Sister Blickentaff lead Training Follow-up Meeting
for brand new missionaries (Sister Beus) and their trainers (me).  How is it going after 6 weeks?
February 29, 2016
Tainan

Hello! 

Great week. Time is flyin! 

Inviting out of love
News for over here: Steve our amazing ward mission leader got released, so we'll miss him a ton. But we had our first coordination meeting with Brother Wu yesterday. Suffice it to say we are in good hands. The guy is efficient. And he's a problem-solver. As we were presenting our progress record to him and telling him about our investigators, he worked extremely quickly and basically just asked one question about each person: "It says here they don't have a baptismal date. Try them again this week". To which of course we would explain how we've invited them before or they dropped their previous goals because of a law of chastity issue or whatever their concern might be. He didn't buy any of it and just said "Their salvation is more important. Let's invite them again this week." Love him! He's ready to help and he's focused on the big goal: baptism. 

It's been neat for me to reflect too, remembering how I felt when giving my first baptismal invite at the MTC--feeling awkward, pushy, unsure... And contrasting that with now--not feeling apologetic at all and inviting them out of love and because I want so badly for them to have these blessings, not even having room to feel awkward from thinking about myself.


Love these wonderful people!
Twister, Ping Pong
This Saturday night we had a great activity! It started a few months ago when I was trying to think of ways to get our investigators to the church and especially some of their families, husbands, or boyfriends who weren't very interested in meeting with us. I gave our ward mission leader Steve an idea of something including food and games. 



So glad so many of our investigators could come!
And we finally put it to action. It was a complete success! 


We played Twister, ping pong, Spot It, Guesstures, and Yahtzee. Everyone had a great time.

Loved all the games
We had everyone bring a dessert to share, so how could you go wrong?

I was a happy camper
Jumbo Jenga!
Other news: our investigator Jessica had a goal to be baptized at the end of March. Because she's only 13, she needs parental permission. Her Dad is Buddhist and doesn't support her, so keep her in your prayers! 

Like a scene in a movie when life flashes before their eyes
I enjoyed thinking about the Sacrament this week. It's funny to think back to when I was younger and would maybe color during church or beg my sister to give me a massage while listening to the talks, or look forward to the snacks in Primary. It's funny to realize that what is now completely full of meaning to me, when I was a little kid, the Sacrament mostly consisted of me being amused by trying to pick the biggest piece of bread. 
I love the Sacrament because it gives us time to reflect and ponder. Doesn't everybody lack that in life? We all get so busy that we don't always have a lot of time to just sit down and think about how we're doing and take stock. For me, the sacrament is kind of like one of those timeline things Facebook makes when it summarizes the year for you in pictures. Or like a scene in a movie when someone's life flashes before their eyes, and it's just tons of quick tiny little glimpses.

One week at a time
I like being able to sit there peacefully on Sunday, quickly review the week, and choose one thing that I wish I could have done better. Then commit to Heavenly Father that I'll do better next week.

It makes the gospel very doable to me, and less daunting when we think about it one week at a time.


I love these two scriptures about what the sacrament means to me:

"Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth; therefore desire not thou the chastening of the Almighty: For me maketh sore, and bindeth up; he woundeth, and his hands make whole." Job 5:17

"Let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup." 1 Corinthians 11:28

All my love,
Sister Hancock


That's right-- taught Sister Beus to like tofu  :P
Of course you gotta sample the batter :)

No comments:

Post a Comment